Athens News Matters: Bees!
Some 30% of the food we consume is directly impacted by the efforts of bees, but veterinarians often don’t know much about maintaining the health of bee colonies. A new UGA initiative is working to change that.
Plus, Dr. Joerg Mayer and Amanda Saulnier were kind enough to provide us with some more handy bee facts:
- Bees have different jobs and when honeybees switch positions, their brain chemistry changes
- There are three types of bees in a colony: the queen, the workers, and the drones
- The queen bee has a blue spot and a bigger but than the rest of the bees
- Bees have the ability to recognize human faces
- Bees use natural caffeine to remember where flowers are
- Bees have five eyes
- A queen lays one egg in 43 seconds
- When building a new hive, they seal off all the edges to control the temperature
- Bees must visit 2 million flowers to make a one-pound jar of honey.
- Honey bees can visit 5,000 flowers in one day.