Recreation Sites Close Ahead Of Hurricane Florence
The Forest Service is closing several recreation sites in the projected path of Hurricane Florence and is advising campers to heed weather warnings.
Beginning Friday Sept. 14, certain low-lying sites will be closed until Florence passes to make sure sites are safe for visitors. A Hazardous Weather Outlook has been issued for areas of the national forest.
“The Forest Service is advising campers to avoid the forest during hazardous weather for personal safety and to prevent further stress on emergency responders who may not be able to quickly respond to emergencies because of conditions that limit access or create safety hazards.”
Closed sites include the following, and may be subject to change. The Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests encourages visitors to check for an updated list before visiting.
Blue Ridge Ranger District:
- Boggs Creek Recreation Area (Lumpkin County)
- Frank Gross Recreation Area (Fannin County)
- Toccoa River Sandy Bottoms Recreation Area (Fannin County)
Chattooga River Ranger District:
- Lake Rabun Beach Recreation Area (Rabun County)
- Lake Russell Recreation Area (Habersham County)
- Sarah's Creek Campground - upper loop closed (Rabun County)
Oconee Ranger District:
- Dyar Pasture Recreation Area (Greene County)
- Oconee River Campground (Greene County)